Susterra® 1,3-propanediol for high-performance, plant-based glycol antifreeze and coolant
Susterra® 1,3-propanediol can be used as a base glycol antifreeze or coolant for automobiles or other light-duty and heavy-duty service cooling systems.
The performance benefits of Susterra® 1,3-propanediol include:
- Susterra® offers manufacturers and suppliers an alternative glycol coolant base that functions effectively to provide protection against freezing, boiling, corrosion and cavitation
- Susterra® is 100% USDA bio-based material, renewably and sustainably sourced
- Susterra® provides low toxicity, safety, and is readily biodegradable
Covation Bio PDO Bio Products is excited to announce that 1,3-propanediol has been approved by the ASTM International Committee D15 on Engine Coolants for use as an engine coolant base. This approval offers coolant manufacturers and suppliers an alternative glycol coolant base that functions effectively to provide protection against freezing, boiling, corrosion and cavitation.
Propanediol-based coolants can offer prevention from premature coolant degradation, lower maintenance and lower lifetime cost technologies for cooling systems and better oxidation resistance than traditional glycols. The main users of these standards would be engine coolant manufacturers and their customers, mechanical engineering contractors and suppliers of power generation and emergency power generation systems.
The approval process included four ASTM standards, which are available via the ASTM website.
- E7388 Standard Specification for Engine Coolant Grade 1,3-Propanediol
- D7515 Standard Test Method for Purity of 1,3-propanediol (Gas Chromatographic Method)
- D7517 Standard Specification for Fully-Formulated 1,3-propanediol Base Engine Coolant for Heavy-Duty Engines
- D7518 Standard Specification for 1,3-propanediol Base Engine Coolant for Automobile and Light-Duty Service
Where to buy
Find a distributor in your area.
Request a sample
Product formulators and designers are invited to request a sample for application testing.